Tuesday 11 January 2011

One Flies The Nest

Years ago when I left home my father looked into my eyes, that were just plain filled with excitement for the adventure of a life away from home, and said "you will never know what it's like for me until your children leave home."

Whatever! I was ready for the world. I was invincible . . . I was naive.

A week ago we took our oldest to the Nashville airport for 6 months with YWAM. He is ready for the world. He is invincible. I am now feeling the emotion behind the words that my father spoke to me over two decades ago.

It's good to let go . . . right? "That's what we raise them for," is what my wife just comforted a friend with as she dropped her daughter off at college yesterday. Why, then, does it have such a helplessness to it?

It is what it is. He is a smart and prepared person, even if he doesn't write home enough.

I have to do this six more times!?

No comments: