Thursday 4 February 2010

Teenagers and Driving

Sometimes teens will really surprise you.

We were getting some driving experience as my son prepares to get his license in Tennessee. The hills and hollows and very narrow roads here can make that task just a bit unnerving!

Anyway, we headed up into the hills, trying to avoid the white lines that are the last defense against the deep hollows below. Swerving left and right, we climb the steep banks up and over the hills.

After twenty or so miles, that would not be suitable for the weak stomach, we decide to head over to the school parking lot for some backing up practice. I get out of the car to see if he can back into the space without touching a line. It's fun being the strict referee.

My eyes bug out as he backs the van into the space (doing it very well I might add). On the back bumper there's a jar of BB's that the kids were using in the back yard. It got left there and it survived the twisting and the turning and the ups and downs of over twenty miles!

I applauded my son's cautious driving, telling him that he's going to do just fine. On the way home I was thinking of all the things that an event like that could mean in life.

Put a comment below on how you would relate that to life?

No comments: